St Cuthbert’s Hand bell Ringing Group

 

History

 

It all began in the Spring of 2000 at a Parish Weekend where there was a workshop for hand bell ringing. Everyone really enjoyed it and on our return were informed that there was a set of hand bell’s available for our use. Unfortunately, on inspection all the bells were unplayable except for one.

 

Peter Cotterall, who was our Musical Director and a great inspiration to us all, called a meeting and there was a lot of interest shown regarding the forming of a group of our own. It was discovered that the bells had been made in 1892 by John Taylor, Bell founders of Loughborough. They very kindly offered to inspect the bells for us free of charge.

 

The outcome was that we needed £4,000 to repair the bells. What a huge task but after many fund raising events and generous donations we did almost achieve our target. In order for us to play we realised that we would need additional new bells and so the total needed was now £5,600. We had almost given us hope when out of the blue we received an award from Awards for All. Yes, we took delivery of 27 bells restored and was able to purchase the additional 10 new bells.

 

We feel very proud of our achievement. The group is affiliated to the Hand bell Ringers of Great Britain and 13 members hold personal HRGB membership cards. We are not professional players, simply amateurs who enjoy ringing together and who have moulded into a close knit team and most importantly have restored an artefact over 100 years old and re-established these bells as part of our heritage.